Friday 6 May 2011

Perfectly Polished

“Who am I?” So I’m sure you all remember this classic line from “Zoolander”. At the moment I am feeling a little bit lost with who I am or am suppose to be. I have this idea of who I should be, but at the moment I feel a far from the perfect person.

I would like to be that carefree, polished girl. POLISHED. That’s exactly what I would like to be. I see beautiful women walking down the street and to me they look so effortless. Their outfits look like they’ve miraculously picked themself out of the wardrobe and wrapped themselves onto the body.  I want to look chic, I want to look like a lady and I want it to all be simple. It isn’t.

When I look through my wardrobe I am disappointed. Everyday I struggle to put together something that will leave me with a little spring in my step. It’s my own fault though, I am not always a smart shopper, though I am starting to see the repercussions of buying “one hit wonders”. A one hit wonder to me is a piece of clothing that I don’t need, a piece of clothing I’ve seen in a shop and have had to have. When I say, “have had to have”, what I generally mean is I haven’t found anything else and “IT” will do.  Ah, why do I do this? I know it will just end up in the back of my wardrobe…..or worse yet, like so many pieces in my wardrobe it will never see the light of day and will be left with its tags on feeling sad and unloved. Bad me.

I have decided that I need to become a smart shopper. I have so much “crap” in my wardrobe and I can’t stand to look at it any longer.  If I normally feel the need for a new outfit I will just go for a general shop in hopes that I’ll hear that amazing dress whispering my name, when in reality all I’ll hear is the clock ticking over and my inner voice thinking “Shit, what on earth am I going to wear?” I need to start thinking smart. Shop smart. I need a list. I need images. I need inspiration.


When I bought my new car last year I researched and finally decided on what I wanted. When I travel I research and ask friends their opinions and thoughts. Why can’t I do the same with fashion? No more “Oh but it’ll look really nice with that dress I bought last month, you know the one I never wear?” Nope, from now on I am going to be ruthless. I am going to plan ahead and only buy things that I know I will give the love and attention it deserves.

So, if you happen to see me walking down the street in only my underwear then you will know that I have completely lost it and decided to do a massive wardrobe cull. Don’t be afraid though, I wouldn’t really walk around the streets in my underwear,……..Melbourne is much too cold for that. Ha. 


2 comments:

  1. I'm very much a one hit wonder shopper but I've recently introduced a new rule when I'm shopping. I (try) never to buy something on the day I find it. I go home and think about it and if I'm still thinking about it a week later I buy it. However, you also run the risk that it's gone but if it's meant to be it's meant to be.. or at least I try and tell myself that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will definitely have to (try) and give that method of shopping a go.

    :)

    ReplyDelete